Taquitos are everywhere on the web these days, but a whole package of cream cheese to go with your dinner doesn’t appeal to me at all. Here is a healthier version of taquitos with a little added flare for those of you who don’t freak out over Mexican Food like I do. These are so perfect for nights where you get home late, or even a quick snack on the weekends.
I don’t know how you can’t like green chili, or Salsa Verde, but not everyone can be smart…right? I find myself making things in half batches anymore. A normal batch for normal people… and another batch for people who eat like their 5 years old…*cough* You know how you feed adult children? BBQ sauce, seriously, just douse everything in cheese and BBQ and it will disappear like you wouldn’t believe. Course, I also have a brother in the neighborhood now, and a Dad that works down the street. They’re welcome 🙂 I should make all the men in my life buy me BBQ sauce in mass quantities
*Prep* If you plan to make the shredded chicken, make sure you do so about 5-6 hours ahead of time. In a pinch for time? You can also buy a rotisserie chicken from the store and shred to speed up the process!
Yield: about 30
Shredded Chicken- 6 hours ahead of time
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 lbs of Chicken (mine were frozen)
1/2 of a 4-oz can La Preferida Diced Green Chiles (I’ve also used the La Victoria brand as well)
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 tsp Ground Pepper
1 tsp Salt
Green Chili Taquitos
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 single serving of plain Greek Yogurt
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (of your choice)
Remaining half of the La Preferida Diced Green Chiles
for the BBQ- Add 1/2-3/4 cup of BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays) You can add more or less depending on how dry your chicken is.
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1. In a crock-pot, add your Shredded Ingredients in the order listed. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, chicken should shred easily with two forks.
2. Once your chicken is cooked, shred and allow to cool a bit, you want to be able to work with it without burning yourself.
3. Combine your softened cream cheese, Greek Yogurt, lime juice, paprika, cumin, pepper, and shredded cheese, mix well.
4. Split your mixture in half between two different bowls. One bowl will be for your Green Chile, the other for the BBQ.
5. In the Green Chile bowl, add the remaining can of green chiles.
6. In the BBQ bowl, add the BBQ sauce and chili powder.
7. It took about 3 packs locally made 8″ tortillas to get thru 3 lbs of chicken. They come in a pack of 10.
8. Warm the tortillas in the microwave if need be in small batches to make them more easy to roll, so they don’t crack.
9. On a 1/3 section of the tortilla, place about 2 tbsp of the chicken mixture, wrap as tight as you can get it. Place seam side down on a baking sheet. I tend to pack these in pretty tight, it helps keep their tight shape the more you pack them in together.
10. When you have a pan filled, spray VERY lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for about 20 minutes at 425 or until browned.
11. Freeze what you don’t use! (reheat at 375 for about 20 minutes, or microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Cooking them in the oven will keep their crisp shell, microwave will soften it-perfect for kids!)