This last weekend we wrapped up our last family gathering for Thanksgiving. A place where traditional corn and green bean sides are shunned and sugary, yummy treats are glorified, I knew this would be the perfect location to try a new recipe. I started my morning by flipping thru my own Pinterest for ideas (this is legal right?), watching clock aware that I had to be out of bed, eaten breakfast, showered, and have some to walk out the door with in just over an hour. Ya, better get in gear as I clearly hadn’t thought this situation thru the night before like a normal person.
As I lay counting the last few restful moments before needing to get up and dash, I came across a Pin from one of my favorite bloggers I have followed for years, The Girl Who Ate Everything. Be sure to check out her enticing photos, because these went so fast all I had time for was to snap a quick photo on my phone! Her
simply laid out recipe was exactly what I was looking for. Did I mention the 12 minute baking time and peanut butter were involved?? No brainer.
I have to say, these bars may have taken 25 minutes from start to finish, but given how quickly they went at our family function, and the 3 recipe requests I got out of it, I think this one will definitely be returning for another holiday soon regardless of how effortless they were to put together! The base of the bars are like a chewy cookie but with a perfect flaky crisp at the end, topped with a sweet peanut butter frosting that you’ll be dying to frost your next chocolate cake with. Here is your next party saver….go for it!
Here is my slight adapted recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything:
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
For the Bars:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tbsp water
Peanut Butter Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350. With a mixer cream the butter, peanut butter and sugars. Add the egg and mix well.
2. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, water, and oatmeal and mix until well combined. Press into a 9×13 baking dish sprayed lightly with cooking spray.Make sure you press the mixture as evenly as you can, be sure not to go to heavy on the sides…the mixture will NOT move from where you press it.
3. Bake for 10-12, or until the edges are golden brown, they will resemble brownies. Remove from the oven to a cooling rack for 15 minutes, or until cool.
4. Frosting: Combine the butter, peanut butter, and vanilla in your mixer, beat until fluffy.
5. Add the powdered sugar and add the milk 1 tbsp at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
6. Frost your bars then slice into 2″ squares.